Thursday, July 31, 2008

Week 34: Giant Baby, Part 2

Hello! So its been a couple weeks since I blogged...sorry for the delay, but there really hasn't been much to share. I continue to get larger, continue to have heartburn, and continue to feel my little one wiggle around and jab me in the guts. But he/she did find my bladder to use as a squeeze toy, so that's new I guess!

I went to the doctor yesterday for an ultrasound to take a look at the actual size of my giant baby. Good news - it's definitely healthy and definitely on the large-ish size, but is not a freakish giant and the doctor isn't too worried. She estimates the baby to be right about 6 pounds now...not too big unless it keeps growing a pound a week (as some babies do) for the next five weeks until I'm due. She said size-wise I'm tracking at two weeks ahead, so at 36/37 weeks. Which technically means I could have the baby in 3 weeks...she said that's a definite possibility (said the baby is in head down mode for sure and asked me to make sure I call if I start any contractions...duh) but really said its just a healthy kid and that hopefully it will slow its growth back to normal - in which case I'm still looking at a 9 lb baby. I have an appointment every week from here on out and in two weeks she'll do another ultrasound to compare the baby's growth.

This just makes me laugh because I was 6 lbs 6 oz at birth (two weeks late) and Mike was around 5lbs. The 70s might not have anything on us in terms of prenatal care, but moms back then did get the luck of smaller babies AND still got to have a good time drinking and smoking! I'm just saying...

And I'm going to go on record as saying this could be all a bunch of hooey and I'll probably have an 8 lb baby, 3 weeks after my due date. Basically, I'm just trying to take it day by day. As it is the weeks are flying by and this little munchkin will be here before we know it.

Oh quick funny story to share...I was in the grocery store today to grab a few things and while I was in the produce aisle picking out apples, this woman with her little baby (in the car seat, in the shopping cart) walks behind me and says under her breath, "You're in for an adventure." She doesn't look at me, doesn't stop, and doesn't acknowledge me in any other way - just made that comment and keeps on walking by. It took me a second to even process what she said and realize she was talking to me!! What a nut but it made me laugh!

As for pictures...this weekend is my baby shower - promise to post pictures after! XXOO