Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Week 30: I got regulated

Well, it was bound to happen...I have had a very active pregnancy and truthfully have been taking this whole "I'm having a baby" thing pretty lightly. Not that I did any heavy lifting or recreational drugs, but I was on the move a lot - didn't always take the seat that was offered to me and certainly didn't like to sit around with my feet up watching TV.

And now I'm here to say that we're in a whole new era. Last week, after a two day work trip to San Diego (which included two days of sitting in meetings and two nights of decadent, sodium-heavy dinners out) I went to my doctor's appointment and was instantly told my ankles "were not okay." They were very, very swollen and contained what I can only guess was two liters of water. (Seriously, they were so poofy that when the doctor pressed on them, her finger marks stayed indented. GROSS.) Couple that with the fact that I had trace amounts of protein my urine, and doc was not happy.

She was slightly concerned about pre-eclampsia (look it up if you want, its not good) but said that since my blood pressure was fine, it was probably just a case of early warning signs of it and the fact that I was trying to do too much and not taking enough time to rest. (DUH. That pretty much sums up my life!)

Mike also called her because he thought I wasn't sharing the whole story with him and she told him the same thing...that medically she is only mildly concerned and it was more about me starting to slow down, not work so hard, and keeping my feet up whenever I can. He said she told him to make sure I'm putting work away when I can, not working too late, etc. and that she sees this problem a lot in her patients with demanding careers. (Funny because I don't think of my career as demanding, but then again, she does always come into the room and see me typing away on my BlackBerry...even if I'm lying back on the bed!)

So I have been resting and working from home with my feet elevated for most of the past week and everything is fine again with my ankles. In fact, they actually started to look normal again...I think I just figured all pregnant women got swollen ankles and feet and that I had to just live with them!

Anyway, that's my story. And if you're wondering why there isn't a picture to go with this week's blog, be grateful that I'm sparing you the image of my scary cankles.